Do I need prior experience in XR?
- No prior experience is required. This introductory course will cover all the basics of XR in education.
I’ve never coded before. Can I participate?
- Yes, you can participate! No coding experience is needed for this course.
What kind of computer do I need?
- Generally, a Windows or Mac OS computer with these minimum specs is required: an i5 processor, 4GB Ram, and 30 GB of free storage space (if your cohort includes using Unity) are required. Ideally, a computer with 8 GB Ram is recommended.
Will my Chromebook work?
- You can still participate with a Chromebook but may not get to fully experience all of the applications entirely due to Chromebook limitations. We’re working on adding additional Chromebook-friendly applications to the course shortly.
Do I need a VR headset?
- No, you do not need a VR headset for this course. The course can be completed using your computer. (Having a smartphone handy will be helpful to view an augmented reality interaction.
Can I use my school login credentials to participate?
- We use Google Classroom as our Learning Management System. We highly recommend creating a new Google account/Gmail for this course. You will be using multiple apps, and some school districts have been restricting links, including access to the Google Classroom.
I don’t have computers in my classroom — is this course still useful?
- Yes, you can still benefit from this course. You will be introduced to tools that allow you to create immersive Augmented Reality learning experiences which you can share with students. Also, we will discuss incorporating an immersive curriculum and lesson plans in the classroom.
Will I receive a certificate?
- Yes, educators who complete this course will receive a certificate indicating 16 contact hours.
What if I can’t attend the live sessions and self-paced modules this fall?
- Educators are busy – we get that! We will be scheduling live sessions throughout the school year to provide multiple opportunities to attend. If nothing seems to work for your schedule, please check in with our team and we’ll see what we can do!
Where will the class be held?
- The live classes and workshops are held over Zoom. Self-paced modules will be accessible via Google Classroom once you have completed the first module.
How many hours, if any, will I be expected to work outside the class sessions?
- The required time commitment will vary based on your goals of taking some/all of the course. If you plan to complete all modules to earn your certificate, a total time commitment of 16 hours is expected, plus additional hours you may choose to spend to make your projects even more amazing.
Do I need to download anything for this course?
- In some cases, you may be asked to download specific applications for the course. But don’t worry; we will show you how to do that in the class and provide resources to guide the installation process.
Do we work on a project or portfolio piece as a part of this course?
- We complete several hands-on assignments throughout the modules.