Do I need prior experience in XR?
- No prior experience is required. This introductory course will cover all the basics of XR in education.
I’ve never coded before. Can I participate?
- Yes, you can participate! No coding experience is needed for this course.
What kind of computer do I need?
- This course can be completed by using a web browser. Ideally a PC/Mac is recommended due to having a larger screen. If you love what you learn and want to work in Unity, these minimum specs are suggested: i5 processor, 8GB Ram, and 40 GB of free storage space.
Will my Chromebook work?
- Yes, you can participate with a Chromebook. (There are limitations for more advanced XR design and development, and we are developing additional Chromebook-friendly applications to our courses.)
Do I need a VR headset?
- No, you do not need a VR headset for this course. The course can be completed using your computer. (Having a smartphone handy will be helpful to view an augmented reality interaction.
Can I use my school login credentials to participate?
- We use Google Classroom as our Learning Management System. We highly recommend creating a new Google account/Gmail for this course. You will be using multiple apps, and some school districts have been restricting links, including access to the Google Classroom.
I don’t have computers in my classroom — is this course still useful?
- Yes, you can still benefit from this course. You will be introduced to tools that allow you to create immersive Augmented Reality learning experiences which you can share with students. Also, we will discuss incorporating an immersive curriculum and lesson plans in the classroom.
Will I receive a certificate?
- Yes, educators who complete sections of this course will receive a certificate. If you complete the entire course, you may request PDPs from Boston University. ✨
What if I can’t attend the live sessions?
- Educators are busy – we get that! While we prefer to meet with you in our live sessions, you can opt to attend on-demand and watch recorded sessions. You can still request one-on-one time with our instructors for assistance!
Where will the class be held?
- Optional live sessions and workshops are held over Zoom. Self-paced modules are accessible via Google Classroom.
How many hours, if any, will I be expected to work outside the class sessions?
- The required time commitment will vary based on your goals of taking some/all of the course. If you plan to complete all modules to earn PDPs from Boston University, a total time commitment of 16 hours is expected, plus additional hours you may choose to spend to make your projects even more amazing.
Do I need to download anything for this course?
- In some cases, you may be asked to download specific applications for the course. But don’t worry; we will show you how to do that in the class and provide resources to guide the installation process.
Do we work on a project or portfolio piece as a part of this course?
- We complete several hands-on assignments throughout the modules.
Who can I contact for additional information?